Monday, January 23, 2012

Why I do not sell my unedited photos anymore ~

I do a ton of editing on my photos. The images that are on my website / facebook page all have a certain “look” to them, and when a client hires me, nine times out of ten, they say they’re hiring me because they want that certain look. My unedited photos look nothing like the finished product. I do my best to nail composition, exposure and white balance in camera, to save myself time in editing, but from there, I add textures, multiple curves layers in Photoshop, and I almost always finish off with a combination of presets in Photoshop / Lightroom. I am a bit of a control freak with my editing, so I spend a lot of time on each, individual photo. I spend a ton of time on faces, cleaning and perfecting.  So, to summarize, my unedited images look completely different than the finished product, and not at all what the client was looking for when they hired me!
If I sell unedited images to clients, and they upload those photos to Facebook, for example, the photos will not be a true representation of my style. Also, what’s really dangerous is the client may take the liberty of editing my photos themselves, and then uploading them, a scary thought, because most non-photographers have very little concept of editing, which would further distort my unedited images. I am in no way trying to be rude or unfeeling here.  I am just "growing up" as a photographer and realizing that it is ok to set boundaries and to protect my "image" as a photographer.  I do not mean to offend anyone by saying "no" in regards to this matter but I just feel it best serves both me and my client not to release the unedited images. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment